Tips To Help Seniors Stay Cool In Hot Weather
Updated: Jan 13, 2020
Seniors are at risk for heat stroke during hot weather
Seniors bodies can't adjust to higher temperatures as well as younger bodies. Being that older adults are more likely to be dehydrated, increases their risk of heat stroke.
36% of heat related deaths in the U.S. were among people over age 65. Below I will list some senior friendly ways to help them stay cool in doors.
1. Drink plenty of liquid preferably water throughout the day (don't wait until are thirsty) and avoid alcohol and caffeine
2. Eat popsicles (homemade ones are delicious) even slightly frozen grapes
3. Eat light cold dishes light cold pasta or chicken salad instead of heavy hot dishes
4. Keep a cool towel on the back of their neck
5. Sit with feet in a pan of cool water, just be sure it's not too cold
6. Keep window shades closed during the hottest part of the day